Monday, December 19, 2005

Blogging Blitzers And Black Cat Bones
A Capital Capitol Punishment


Depsite my running around yesterday finalizing my Christmas errands, I took time out in the afternoon to watch the Redskins game while I wrapped presents. I had been stuck on the Beltway in pre-game traffic: cars with Redskins' flags flapping on the antenna, a "Dallas Sucks" van broken down on the shoulder. I had seen an entry on the blog The Blinding Glare of the Obvious (quarterback: Lizzie) who had posted about football, so I left a comment, to which she responded immediately, then our blog pal Chairborne Stranger (quarterback: CS) started making entries from Iraq, where he is serving in the military, in response to what we were saying. It all got a little surreal at one point where CS was pretending to go to the kitchen to fix us junk food snacks.





I admire Joe Gibbs for making the sign to kill the playing of "Momma, Don't Let Your Sons Grow Up To Be Cowboys," toward the end of the game. Class move on his part. HOWEVER...sometimes Gibbs weirds me out with his juju's of never cracking a smile during a game, the drop-to-your-knees prayer strategies, etc. It's almost like he's got a black cat bone and mojo around his neck like he's waiting for Baron Samedi to come waltzing out on the playing field.

I mixed up cookie dough at half time, and I was already resigned to baking in advance of the end of the game if things got really sucky. They didn't, and I was able to watch it
all the way through. It was worth it, even if I was still baking cookies at midnight.

Postscript: Today the Washington Express picked up a blurb on this piece, which was nice, but off to the side they said "Washington Cube finds Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs to be rather creepy." Nothing could be further from the truth. I was being flippant when I said he weirded me out with some of his on the playing field habits, but the truth is many people involved in sports, theatre, and other endeavors develop little patterns and rituals to not jinx themselves. I jokingly referred to superstitions, but in Mr. Gibbs' case, I know that is not it. I am sure he is well aware of the dangers of hubris, but it's not even in the man's nature to gloat in victory.

Some time ago, I saw an interview with Mr. Gibbs regarding his race car business and how he handled employees. He is the dream employer. He shows so much respect to his employees, and he sets such a superior moral and ethical level of operation that I can't think of a better person to work for (and with) in any occupation. To me, Joe Gibbs sets the model and standard we should all be pursuing in our careers, and I can't praise him enough. I am so embarrassed that they printed out that I thought he was creepy, when nothing could be further from the truth. The Express has made me regret my tease. Mr. Gibbs is a role model for us all.





My Mother's Christmas
Oatmeal Cookie Recipe


1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups quick oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the white and brown sugar, the softened butter and eggs in one bowl. Mix the baking soda, flour and salt in another bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture, and then add the vanilla extract. Work in the oats. Roll into logs about the size of a sushi roll (6 inches long x 1 1/2 inches wide) and wrap each roll in wax paper. Freeze or harden the dough. When ready, cut the logs into pieces about 1/2 inch thick (you may need to shape them slightly back into "rounds"), and put on ungreased baking sheets. Space about 2 inches apart, because the cookies do spread, sometimes up to four times their size. Bake ten minutes* and cool on racks. Makes five dozen. These freeze well.

*I tend to rotate the cookie sheets halfway through bake time, no matter what type of cookie I am making.




\

16 Comments:

Blogger Blue Dog Art said...

As a Steelers fan, any day Dallas loses is a good day.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Sparklebot said...

The homeless guy at my local Chinese Takeout place called yesterday's game "an EXTRAVAGANZA!"

11:33 AM  
Blogger cs said...

So I'm guessing the toughskins won. I was out gathering xmas gifts yesterday evening and heard one cashier shout gleefully to another, "It's 28-0."

Gibbs is merely the latest objet a that the Danny has fastened upon. Unfortunately, Danny has backed himself in a corner should Gibbs not get him his immediate results -- the Danny can't fire Gibbs without risking stoking the wrath of the [racist slur for Indians] faithful.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I had fun watching the game "with" you! Hope the cookies turned out well.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

Imagine that, Lizzie is here too! The game was fun, LOL
And I agree with blue dog-As a Steelers fan, Dallas must lose.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Blue Dog: :D

Smash: Too funny. Everyone's got an opinion.

Mass: I hear ya. I am still deep in Ho, Ho, HoLand. I do wonder how Snyder would deal with Gibbs' departure, should it become an issue. Hasn't the Vatican been petitioned already for Sainthood?

Lizzie: Me too. It was a great game.

CS: You didn't think you would slide in here without Lizzie beating you to it, did you?

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! Oatmeal cookies without raisins...I loves it! Too bad I can't bake. :-(

6:35 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

mmm... victory.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Chase: I've baking all week in my spare time, a variety of things, but...I'm giving it all away. No cookies for Cubie. :( Since you can't be home for Christmas, I hope you have a lot of friends around you in the next few weeks.

I--66: Yes! Sweet!

9:55 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

cute cookie jar!

i myself love to make pre-made cookie. there is an art to breaking apart the pre-cut cubes, placing on a greased baking sheet, and sitting back to watch your work (i swear by nestle tollhouse dough!).

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[violin softly playing in background]Thanks Cubie, but I will be here alone!! Ugh!

3:35 PM  
Blogger m.a. said...

Please be my friend and let me have a cookie. Seriously, the redskins game was worth watching. And I rarely watch football.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Miss VP: Thanks, but all I did was Google "Redskin's Cookie Jar," and look what popped up. I've been baking a lot this week, but since I'm being a good Cubie, I'm giving it all away.

Academic: Being a D.C. girl, born and raised, I am always loyal to the home team, even when they aren't having a great year. Sunday's game was a treat.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Tyjen said...

i loove oatmeal raisin cookies. i'll have to try out that recipe. thanks!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

cubetastic.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's swell that the Post is noticing your wonderful writing, but I do hope they do you justice and get it a little more right next time.

Oh, and add me to the list of folks with cookie longing.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites