Monday, June 19, 2006

Dining On The Dock Of The Bay

The view from the table

Saturday was perfection. I spent the day in Annapolis with my friend who lives there, and we had lunch at Mike's Seafood on the South River. Watching everyone pounding away with wooden mallets, working over piles of steamed crabs, I realized what a truly unique Maryland experience this is.

Beneath our table, a little duck kept us company.


The father in this picture kept getting up
and showing his children how to open crabs.
I guess that's a Daddy job.


About a month ago, things didn't go quite so swimmingly. Same friend. We had a solemn family activity to fulfill. It was Mother's Day. Our mothers are buried across the road in the same cemetery so we went to leave flowers. Afterwards, we looked for a nearby place for lunch. The closest thing available was the Ram's Head Beach House, and it was quite the culinary adventure, since biker bar doesn't usually jump to mind in conjunction with girl's lunch.

Plenty of free parking including
handicapped motorcyclist spaces

The menu was the kind of thing that made my heart sink. Nothing looked edible. I settled for a bowl of soup. My friend had a sandwich. I have to admit I was surprised when our food arrived in plastic bowls and plates. My friend is from NYC and doesn't hold back, I'm afraid. She asided to the departing waitress, "Oh. I see you've hauled out the best plastic for us." It was odd, sitting in a restaurant, eating off plastic, but I wish she hadn't been rude to the waitress.

Karmic crab bisque that made me
sickedy, sick sick
well into the night


Fellow restaurant patrons. I'm loving the reflective bill
on the backwards baseball cap.


...and it's good to see they have
their mission statement on the wall


An acquaintance of Jack Shit was there

22 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

[insert appropriate Cube-having-crabs joke here]

10:56 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

:::scritch:::

11:08 AM  
Blogger Sparklebot said...

Those are the kind of restaurants my friend and I SEEK OUT because, while the food may be gross, the atmosphere and people-watching opportunities are unrivaled!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love your photojournal essays! And this reminded me, I have to get myself back to Annapolis. I see motorcycles in this post...and I think my kind of men are wandering around out there.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Velvet and Smash: I love dives, also. The problem was, I couldn't drink...still had to drive back home. I foolishly hadn't eaten all day,and the menu was breaded, deep-fried heaven.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

I'd like to take
a
nap
olis!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Johnny! :::noodge::: You card you.

4:15 PM  
Blogger cs said...

Your friend gave the waitress attitude in a biker bar and didn't get a punch in the nose? Lucky, I guess.

I like the fake bullet hole in the friend of Jack Shit's helmet.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Cuff: I was totally loving the fake bullet hole. I was wondering if anyone would notice that.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Megarita said...

Karmic crab is hilarious. Although sad. Of course.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

I don't mind, and sometimes prefer plastic silverware/plates/cups (I'm weird, I know), but not from a restaurant. Weird!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I wonder what Mr. Shit is up to these days?

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"An acquaintance of Jack Shit was there." HA HA HA

NEVER order soup at a biker bar! NEVER!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Good advice!

I love the little duck! Glad to see you writing again.

9:28 PM  
Blogger playfulinnc said...

What's wrong with keeping your hooch in the can?

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thai... Sitting On The Duck Of The Bay ? ... speaking of singing a song to the tune of another, did you know that Amazing Grace can be sung to almost any tune ? It works especially well with the theme to Gilligan's Island... try it, you'll like it ... mmm... crabs and beer in the land of pleasant living...

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a strategy for picking crabs: order a plate of mini crabcakes and munch on them while you're pulling the pop-top to take the main part of the crab's shell off, and then picking out the meat. Drinking in the dive bar? Plastic cups are probably the cleanest way to get your drink on.

Glad to see you managed an outing on an otherwise crazy washed-out weekend.

grince

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crab Mallets!

Wrethy Smash!!!!

>^, ,^<

2:07 PM  
Blogger m.a. said...

I've missed you, Cube. Nice to hear about your adventures.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Mike's on South River rules. yummy crabs! Glad there's someone else who appreciates the finest in southern maryland culture.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

I missed you too, cube. Mike's is a great place to eat. I'm hungry now too.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Ordering clam chowder at a trucker-infested bar makes about sense as ordering the fish filet at McDonald's.

*shudders*

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites