Monday, April 23, 2007

S.I.F.A.: A Rip-Roaring Way To Start Your Week


I was in a local lighting store, searching for those brass strips of pinpoint lights you can angle above shelves and bookcases for ambient lighting, and I was being helped by an older man with an upright bearing and closely clipped hair. When he went into the back room to research something, his other co-workers behind the counter started debating the all important topic of employees anywhere: what should we do for lunch? When the man helping me returned, they pulled him into their conversation, asking him if he would go and bring food back for them. He turned to one and said, "You aren't a S.I.F.A., are you, Theresa?"


I had to ask. "What is a S.I.F.A.?" A wry smile twisted at the corner of his mouth, and he said, "I really couldn't tell you, beyond the fact it was an expression we used when I was in the military." "I've been exposed to many military acronyms, growing up in Washington," I told him, "so please tell me as I'd love to learn a new one." "Well," he said. "Whenever someone was being demanding and trying to force their viewpoint or needs on you, we would call that person a seefah (S.I.F.A.). "In other words, they were a self-inflicting flaming asshole..." Chuckling, he turned to the woman next to him and added, "....of course, not you, Theresa."

I suppose we all have seefah's in our lives. If you see one today, hand them a match:

10 Comments:

Blogger cs said...

I wonder if that works for the hot air that comes out of some people's mouths?

11:09 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Cuff'ster: Let's have an experiment. You go find the matches. I'll find Trial A...

11:14 AM  
Blogger GreenCanary said...

This is hysterical... My father lovingly calls me a PITA, which roughly translates to "pain in the *beep!*" I'll have to retort with SIFA. Thanks Cube!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

It's all fun and games until folks start trying to ignite the methane...

4:36 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

I lost two cousins that way, you know.

(Sniff!)

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just FYI I rescued your comment at my site from the Spamulator. Wow!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Megarita said...

Genius. I'm always seeking good acronyms, and this absolutely fits the bill.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Oh my. That really would hurt.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Leave it to Cube to stoop to such low-brow humor.

(loved it)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Green: PITA...PIA...same thing. I'll tell ya, SIFA was a first for me.

Hammer: You are Southern, aren't you? Of course you lost two cousins that way.

Miss Pleasure: Thanks

Mega: I know I've added it to my verbal arsenal.

Reya: I was going to use You Tube footage where a man is doing that, sets his ass on fire, and falls on his stomach while his friends put him out.

Phil: My friend. KNEW you would. ;)

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites