Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Good Geman, Or

"What's A Nice Girl Like You

Doing In A Sewer Like This?


What's to like about this movie:

* George Clooney's slick, witty patter.

* Seeing Robin Weigert (the actress who played a very plain, drunk Calamity Jane in HBO's Deadwood) pulling a 180 and playing a ham loving German stripper.

* Watching Stalin smoke a cigarette on old war footage from Potsdam.

* Noirish lit backdrops reminiscent of the moody clouds and ruins seen in paintings by Gainsborough, Reynolds and Constable.

* Seamed stockings.

* Cate Blanchett evoking the spirit of Marlene Dietrich

What's not to like:

* George Clooney's slick, witty patter. Ozeans Elf! :::snapping heels:::

* A heightened reminder that Tobey McGuire in black and white movies (Sin City) is very good at playing psychopathic creeps.

* Bad German accents.

* No Claude Rains.

* The distraction of comparisons to so many other films in that genre, but in particular, Casablanca, Chinatown, Judgment at Nuremberg and The Third Man. To wit:

George Clooney in a bar....

Humphrey Bogart in a bar


Pinched nose actor, Leland Orser,
playing Prosecutor Bernie Teitel


Pinched nose actor/director Roman Polanski
"Don't go sticking your ear in other people's business, kitty kat."

Torn Ear


Torn Nose


Where the elite, meet


...as Harry Lime well knows


"You turned in how many of your Jewish countrymen
to save your own ass? This is the end of a beautiful friendship."


...and this is the beginning of another one.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
you have such good pix of George here well and the rest.

I work for Detective Matt Cooper.
He is the famous author of
HELL IN A BRIEFCASE & HOSTILE INTENT.
He is currently offering daily Travel & World Security tips.

You can visit us at:
www.detectivemattcooper.blogspot.com

1:52 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Matt: Do you always speak of yourself in the third person? And thanks. I worked a long time gathering up the images and fixing them to work in this article.

2:01 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

At least in theory this was a good idea.

...and don't you folks know it's taboo to pimp yourself out in other people's comments?

2:11 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

66'er: Guess not. ;)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Mr. Kent: I'm honored you dropped by. I did know it was an homage..even knew about the old cameras. While I was seeing it, though, there were such obvious things in place. I could have pasted up a lot more pictures that were almost the exact scene from various sources. I agree with you on Elijah.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Great juxtaposition here. Well thought out as usual. TY for the post.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Kate: Thank you. I'm just glad someone's reading.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Cube there is nothing new under the sun.

No Claude Rains? What a pity. Robin Weigert is a great actress, how great to know she's so versatile. I really loved her Calamity Jane.

George Clooney is one of my secret celebrity love matches. What a shame that he's disappointing in this one.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Megarita said...

I was eagerly anticipating this one until it got so panned! Thankfully I found the Good Shepherd enjoyable, thereby fulfilling my "Good" movie requirements for the season.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

That's Calamity?!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: Buy seamed stockings.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think The Third Man is one of the finest movies ever made. I wish I had seen it before I spent that semester of college in Vienna. If I had, I would have made my way into the Viennese sewers.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites