Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Let It Come Down

It's Raining Cocktails

Let us sing and drink to the gods of rain. The litany of heat and drought is offered up on the news every night, but no one is doing anything about the weather (except Al Gore,) so I am offering up liquid libations to the precipitation gods. Jazzman Mose Allison is in town performing at Blues Alley and who knows, maybe he’ll be singing “Let It Come Down,” and he should, because we certainly need the rain.

Willy The Shake Cocktail

Mose Allison has a song called "Let It Come Down," a title that was actually taken from a scene in Shakespeare's Macbeth where Banquo says "It will be rain tonight," and the First Murderer responds, "Then let the rain come down," only as with most Shakespeare, they aren't really talking about rain now, are they? I know. Let's have a drink:

Willy the Shake Cocktail

1 1/4 ounces Malibu Pineapple Infused Rum
1 ounce Red Bull
.75 ounces Shakka Concord Grape Eau de Vie Liqueur

Shake the rum and Red Bull and pour into a chilled martini glass. Sink the grape liqueur into the bottom and garnish with pineapple cubes...speared. Shake and spear. Get it? Knew you would. This drink has a vile look to it, perfect for misdeeds committed in the dark of night in a windblown, rain-lashed castle in Scotland.

On one of Mose Allison's albums, he quotes a story told to him by a prominent educator studying the culture of the Hopi, a desert-dwelling Native American tribe of the Southwest. He found it strange that almost all Hopi music was about water and asked one of the musicians why. He was told that the music was about water, because that was what they suffered from not having. Then the Hopi told the educator, "Most of your music is about love." Let it come down.(1)

Threatened by what you're going through
Regretting the things you didn't do
Relying on compensations you've found
Groaning beneath the weight of it
Bemoaning the fickle fate of it
Complying just to keep both feet on the ground.

That won't get you any place
Won't excuse you from the race
When you meet your destiny face to face
And no more wish I might
And if there's going to be rain tonight
Let it come down.

...or let's have a drink. How about the Let It Come Down Martini?

This drink has "stages" starting with a martini glass lined in vermouth to represent the rain.


Let It Come Down Martini

2 1/2 ounces Rain Vodka
Atomizers of Vermouth and Limoncello

Using a chilled martini glass, spray the inside of the glass with vermouth. In a martini pitcher add the vodka with ice and stir. Pour into martini glass and spray the surface of the glass with Limoncello to bring the promise of the sun, after the rain.

Let It Come Down Martini (2)

A friend of mine wrote "A Toast To the End of Summer" for this blog entry which I offer here:

Here's to the sweaty glass that drools condensation on my shirt
To the mosquito hoping to gift me with West Nile virus
To the hornet that provided an unrequested ear piercing at no charge
To the tiny ants who boldly established a new colony in the open Dorito bag
To the gentlemen of a certain age who wear shorts and sleeveless shirts in daylight
To the malevolent sun that bathes us in it's melanoma rays
And to the summer dumpster and it's heavenly scent of crab feast remains

Summer's Almost Gone Cocktail

The Doors had a song called "Summer's Almost Gone," on their Waiting For The Sun album, and I think it appropriate we close the end of August with a drink that reminds us of shortened daylight and sinking suns:

Summer's Almost Gone Cocktail

1 1/4 ounces Grey Goose Mandarin Vodka
2 ounces Orange Juice
Grenadine

Shake the vodka and orange juice and pour into a chilled glass. Sink the grenadine then stir slightly to give you a gradated shading of color, representative of the sinking sun, and garnish with half a lemon slice, also symbolizing the sinking sun.

Morning found us calmly unaware
Noon burned gold into our hair
At night, we swim the laughing sea
When summer's gone where will we be ~~ The Doors

Oh yeah...no more flop sweat:

"Katrina. Storm of a lifetime."




(1) This song comes from a 1968 album of Mose Allison's called I've Been Doing Some Thinking. He delivers the words in a deadly slow pace over piano chords so wistful and weary that you might feel he was trying to push the piano uphill.

(2) I photographed this drink two ways. With the strainer over the glass (inappropriate) and over the glass pitcher (which wasn't as photogenic, but proper.)

23 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Wonderful. But if I get caught drinking at work I'm totally blaming you.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Wow - that makes me thirsty!

12:41 PM  
Blogger playfulinnc said...

"And to the summer dumpster and it's heavenly scent of crab feast remains"~

Hey! I was trying to eat my lunch! eeeeeuuuuuuu

1:11 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I-66: I'll write a note to your boss saying "Please let I-66 drink at work. It stablizes his metabolism and helps him concentrate."

Jimmy: The weird thing (for me) is I drank those cocktails, on an empty stomach, and never felt a thing.

Playful: I cringed over that line as well, but if you knew the guy who wrote it, it's pure him, so I wasn't about to interfere and edit. P.S. Thank you for taking my comment on your blog, then blogging about it. I'm glad you can take my teasing.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Wicketywack said...

Cube,

Red Bull and vodka cocktails?!?! Say it isn't so, Cube, say it isn't so!!

A liquor that is by law "without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color" does not belong is quality cocktails, my friend.

Despite this one minor transgression, you're still awesome and we still love you at DC Drinks. Don't worry.

;-)

2:00 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Lonnie: It is so, and I fell on my sword bringing you that drink. I hate anything with Red Bull, especially Jager Bombs. Do you see how I suffer for my craft? I give and give and give...

I love you guys over at D.C. Drinks, as well. You are producing the true scholarly work on booze in this town:

http://dcdrinks.blogspot.com/

2:06 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love your drink recipes!!

I cringe to say this but, I've never had a Red Bull. Ever. And I live over a 7-11.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

V: It was a pleasant way to spend an early evening. I went out again beyond that, so it was quite the day.

Velvet: Red Bull will give you a definite buzz of energy that goes well beyond anything Starbucks has ever produced. The stuff tastes so nasty. It's swill. And yes, I've tried mixing it with other things. Oh yeah...you can also get it in "diet" form.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

See if you can come up with a cocktail with Mello Yello in it.

4:22 PM  
Blogger an orange county girl said...

the summer's almost gone cocktail sounds dee-lish!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Phil: I don't know if they sell Mello Yello around here, so I'll have to do my homework, but...if I can find a can, I will definitely create a cocktail for you, and I'll let you name it.

Lizzie: That one actually came out very well, visually and for taste. It was not overly sweet, which was a concern.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

It is a scarce commodity - Mountain Dew is the king of highly caffeinated yellow dyed drinks, but I prefer Mello Yello (not just because of the Coca-Cola connection, but that is one reason).

5:39 PM  
Blogger m.a. said...

I need a summer's almost over drink. stat.

You've captured my imagination with music and booze. Thanks for coming into my life, Cube.

here's a haiku for you

My, Washington Cube
your knowledge of so many things
just keeps me in awe.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Phil: If push comes to shove, I'll buy some online (I found a site,) and we'll go from there. There is a cocktail called Mello Yello (rather nasty ingredients,) but I'd rather start from scratch for you.

Momentary: I'm glad I've gotten to know you, as well. Thank you for my haiku. That's quite an honor. And I hope everyone makes sure to find your blog:

http://fictionalrockstar.blogspot.com/

11:35 PM  
Blogger Megarita said...

Damn, I totally had a panic attack that I'd been misusing my strainer all these years! Totally stealing the Shake Spear cocktail. I'm teaching Macbeth right now, too, so I feel positively obligated to make it and drink it in class. I'll keep you posted.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Cube, Gosh I love the way you think!! Raining cocktails...=-)

Again, thanks for the recipes. As a huge Doors fan, I really like the End of the Summer one. I am sure that if you ever need willing participants to 'try out' your creations, you will not lack for volunteers!

8:56 AM  
Blogger cs said...

Red bull is useful if you have to drive long stretches at night. or if you're dead tired and need to go out. So it's like cocaine. Except it tastes like cough syrup.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

I'm gonna need a few of these tomorrow. What time does the bar open?

11:09 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Erudite cocktails? You're a genius, Cube.

Yum! A toast to the rain.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Mega: Someone could do an entire Shakespeare cocktail book. What a way to get an education.

Ryane: I like The Doors, as well. On this rainy day, it would be good to hear "Riders On the Storm."

Cuff: Red Bull does has it's uses, and I just bought some (diet version) to add to vitamin waters and such for a little extra boost.

Hammer: The bar is always open. "We Never Close."

Reya: My cocktails must have worked their juju, because it's finally raining.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Yep. You've got the power. We've had plenty of rain! We tried the summer's almost over cocktail here on Tennessee Avenue last night, drank a toast to you, to Mose Allison, and to the storm. Delicious!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Stef said...

That last one looks delicious! :)

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shakka Concord Grape Eau de Vie Liqueur? Please explain, mighty cube, to the uninitiated.

grince

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites