Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Explain Mmm Mmm
Where Cube Gets Overstimulated

I don't know what it is about my friends and You Tube today, but I've been getting bombarded. First, my friend Steve sent me this in an email with the comment, "There is a God." I was laughing when I called to tell him, "This is what is wrong with me, of course. Hank Marvin is my dream guy...him and Scott Walker who is insane and Keats who is dead and Marlon Brando (also dead and definitely sociopathic) in The Wild One..."Whaddya rebelling against, Johnny? Whaddya GOT!" and...well you get the picture:





Next up was Hammer with his email saying he thought of me when he saw this one (P.S. to Hammer...I used this one. There is an entire series):




P. P.S. LOVE "Harold hates my kawfee."


The only thing I have to say about that, Mr. H. is that recently I left a typical Cube comment (I guess) on someone's blog (I cannot remember who) where I wrote an essay about the Wizard of Oz and why the Wicked Witch was so much cooler (her own squadron of monkeys and she hated yappy dogs) and Margaret Hamilton and what a good actress she was and how later in her career she was Cora on old Maxwell House coffee ads, and on and on.

Well, men. You want the truth? This is what I've been looking at today on You Tube:



The Kills URA Fever


There's something so Eraserhead-Lou Reed & Edie Sedgwick-Tom Verlaine-Serge Gainsbourg-Beck about it all.

P.P.P.P. S.



"Oh all righty!" God, I love him. ...and if you made it all the way through The Wild One viewing (and I hope you did), "I'm going to wait around for Crazy."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

and I've been obsessed with the AT&T phone commerical with the guy SVEN who tells the family what their life is....my favorite is when he wakes the daughter up and says...KUNG FU TODAY...LOL...

I'm always waiting for Crazy...

8:58 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm with you, Cube. If there is a God and I get to heaven, Hank better be there playing just like that!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Sue: I love Sven. I like how he hands the family sweaters exactly like his. I saw an ad tonight that is so bizzare..."The Buttertons." I think it was for that product Not Like Butter. A sixties type family is eating everything with a big stick of butter jammed in the food and sticking straight up in the air. Truly disgusting.

Kate: Isn't Hank the greatest? I've always loved guys like him, Dick Dale, Link Wray...any twangy guitar picker. When I used to spend more time in London, I was over by Victoria Station one day, and walking by the stage door of an old, OLD theatre called the Theatre Royale. There was a small but enthusiast gaggle of middle-aged women all worked up, and in the middle of them, Cliff Richard, banging on the door with a look of pure terror on his face. He should only go through what the Britney's and Lindsey's of today's fame face.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

A quick perusal of Amazon (and eBay I assume) indicates you can get a used copy of Tom Verlaine's "Warm and Cool" for cheap - I highly recommend it if you enjoy the instrumental guys. I also maintain that Gary Lucas' "Skeleton at the Feast" is the best live guitar album no one has heard. Out of print and not cheap, but a surreal mix of stuff. A couple songs there still blow me away like they did when I first heard them in a record store forever ago. "Whoa! What is THAT?!" Stopped me cold in my tracks. One of his weird niches is soundtracks for silent classics like Nosferatu and The Golem. Clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoIgZid06oI

Thanks for the nod, btw. Getting mentioned at Cube's place is like getting invited on stage with Springsteen.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Hammer: WHOA...HUGE whoa to Gary Lucas. NEVER heard of him, and I am that insane person with the massive record collection. I am Miss High Fidelity refusing to sell Captain Beefheart to the peons. We need to write about this guy. Wow. Let me go back for some more viewing of that.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

AAAAAAHHHHH...HE WORKED WITH BEEFHEART!...Cue to Twilight Zone intro....

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

id leave a comment..but crazy just got here...xoxo

9:46 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

To quote Brando, "Zoooowww." :::fingers snap::: Crazy is good, Blonde.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I thought about what I said and decided if when I pass on I am in a place where Hank is playing, it will BE heaven! :)

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Steph and the Words said...

Helloo mate nice post

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites