Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Tistket A Tasket


For Today...

Outside my window... rain, rain, go away, come again another day

I am thinking... why am I not living the life I want for myself on so many levels--how can I be that off course?

From the learning rooms... there are a lot of songs about rain. I'd be hard pressed to pick one favorite. I was thinking of posting Dee Clarke's "Raindrops," but then my thoughts drifted to how much I love songs about rain and airplanes. Neil Young has a great song called "Look Out For My Love," and the last stanza has him out on the runway with "hydraulic wipers pumping...but no one listens."

I am thankful for... not having dementia

From the kitchen... tonight? Jasper White's (a New England chef) three-cheese macaroni and cheese. I'll be freezing this. It feeds an army.

I am wearing... black and red. Suitable for attending a Suprematism exhibit or invading Poland.(see: mac and cheese.)


I am reading... old issues of Architectural Digest to ditch them and re-reading Raymond Chandler's Payback. The only thing I would recommend that I've read in the past two weeks is Peter Ackroyd's Poe: A Life Cut Short....and if anyone ever died screwed up and unfilfilled, try Poe.

I am hoping... I can shake this horrible mood

I am creating...I'm forcing more self-taught Photoshop tutorials on myself to stretch and learn

I am praying...that I can have the life I want, and not die feeling so disappointed

Around the house... chaos and dealing with the dead....still. Does it ever end?


One of my favorite things... I photographed them: the alliums in my yard. They are past their glory, but they stay fascinating in decay. I plant "Globemaster," which have heads that can grow 11 inches wide. They are part of the "big ball" allium hybrid group, so yes, there is even inferiority about "size," in the floral kingdom.



A few plans for the rest of the week...getting this massive amount of paperwork under control, going over to the dead person's house to continue emptying it out. I will have to force myself. I am burnt out on disposing of these things, and the idea of crawling up in an attic, which is decades of untouched old filth and hauling this stuff down and out is just.....depressing.


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you... flying at night with dim lights in the airplane cabin, tracing the lights on the ground below and realizing that you are seeing where the shoreline meets the ocean. It sounds so romantic in French: vol de nuit...flight of night.






















































































































































Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Hammer said...

As far as rain songs go, today I'm feeling partial to REM's cover of CCR's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain."

As for other matters, when life's practicalities force us to deal with what the departed have left behind, it seems like death is all you see. As these tasks and rituals are completed, insert a little more life and color in their place. Photoshop is a start, but I find the traditional graphic arts to be appealing in ways the digital can never be. Watercolor pencils are my thing these days. Kind of a 2-for-1 medium. Sketch something out, just add water, and blammo, you got yourself a painting. (And yet, hidden underneath the strokes are hints of the sketch that only you have ever seen.)

Hang in there, Little Tomato! (Lyrics at 1:26)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I love this PP&M song but did you ever wonder why Mary had to share a microphone? Just wonderin'. And, Hammer, don't tell it's because the "boys" are playing guitar and she is not! Not good enough!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

Well that song sort of makes me want to twist my nipples. Not in a good way. Wow.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

"Purple" Rain, of course.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I was thinking of putting up Moby's "It's Raining Again," or Ann Pebbles doing "I Can't Stand the Rain." I may still have to put her up this week. I thought about The Beatles "Rain," or The Madonna "Rain," "The Back Room,"-Van Morrison (wonder if that's on You Tube?) and on and on.

Hammer: I love both versions of that song. I'm still drawing and painting, but I haven't produced anything recently, short of a birthday card, and I didn't feel like posting about that. I'm a big fan of the watercolor pencil myself.

Kate: I don't know what made me put that one up. I even searched out two or three Gordon Lightfoot versions, since he wrote it, and also Ian and Sylvia, since they really made it famous. There's even a You Tube with Ian and Sylvia AND Gordon.

Phil: Yeah. Him too. Everyone writes at least one rain song, it seems.

Kate: They should have put her in the center with her own mike..not shoved her off on the side, leaning in. I noticed that watching the video.

Velvet: My head was wrapped around sixties folk music this a.m. What can I say?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Brook Benton's "Rainy Night in Georgia" is one of my favorite rain tunes, but I think it's a little too gloomy for right now. I know how difficult and depressing it is trying to deal with a lifetime worth of someone else's stuff, especially when you really miss that person. Sorry, I have nothing cheerful to say except that those alliums are lovely and macaroni and cheese is the perfect comfort food.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Cyndy: I ate a little of the mac and cheese. Made me sick to my stomach. I normally don't eat such stodgy stuff. LOVE Brook Benton.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Loralee said...

I've always loved this "rain" song:
MLK lyrics

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thunder cloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Rain down on him
So let it be
So let it be

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thundercloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Let it rain
Rain on him

It's hopeful, peaceful and a little mournful, and I love the
promise that better things can come to you.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Speaking of rain in lyrics, then I'd have to recommend Kenny's "Morning Desire".

Let's just say rain + morning = aroused Kenny.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Phil: What doesn't arouse Kenny?

Lee: I love this song. I also found a very pretty version of it with Joan Baez singing on You Tube. I love it as well.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous ma said...

Oh Cube. Remember the Jacques Prevert poem!

Il pleut Il pleut
Il fait beau
Il fait du soleil
Il est tôt
Il se fait tard
Il
Il
Il
Toujours Il
Toujours Il qui pleut et qui neige
Pourquoi pas Elle
Jamais Elle
Jamais Elle
Pourtant Elle aussi
Souvent se fait belle
(Refrains enfantins, dans Spectacle - Jacques Prévert )

Rain. blech. but the poem makes me happy!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Cape Bound said...

MA: I most certainly do remember the Prevert poem, and that's Prevert, Phil, not pervert. I don't want to repent it, since it's long, but look up his poem called Barbara for more rain reference. He was the first poet I learned in French.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

As I finished reading your post and began reading the comments, I started hearing "I can't stand the rain...against my windows..." in my head just seconds before I got to your post mentioning that song.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with a blue mood, Cube...sending you hugs from the beach. If you need some smiles, check out my Flickr page for adorable pix of Missy. Nothing says curative like a little fluffy white puppy. :)

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. its an amazing blog..
Thanks for sharing information with us..

___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites