Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Birthday Batches And A Shout Out To Orrence

Realizing today was August 16th, I started thinking about this block of time and how weirdly it's pops up again and again in my life. For some reason, I've known a lot of people...a LOT of people... with birthdays in the block of August 16th-17th-18th. I've had another block consistently show up in September 21-23, October 10-29, and again in December: 20-26. The first week of January, February 3rd (a lot), May 15-17, and June 1. What is it about these dates???

Oh, yeah. It's Madonna's birthday today. Big whoop. The Duchess of Deviant with the mouth of a truck driver, but in a spiritual kinda way. She's 47. Her next world tour will be called Hot Flash. Her next disco remix: Widow's Hump.


Also Kathie Lee and Frank Gifford. A husband and wi
fe with the same birthday. Weird. What? "Frank. Fraaaaannnnk...whine...It's MY birthday. I get to blow out the candles. :::shove:::"

And my personal favorite: T.E. Lawrence. Lawrence of Arabia. Mr. Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes and make it possible."

I was talking about Lawrence as I wrote this, and my friend said "What do you know about T.E. Lawrence?" I went over the obvious things: died from a motorcycle accident in England, wrote The Seven Pillars of Wisdom (we talked about that: I actually got to read a first edition of that once: not an easy read, great maps), went native, the way Omar Sharif kept saying "Orrence" in Lawrence of Ararbia, and then to be a brat, I added, "Oh. He looked good in a lot of billowing white fabric, not an easy look for a gir
l to carry off."

Speaking of deserts, one of the most fascinating books I've ever stumbled across taught you how to read sand patterns in the desert for navigational purposes. I think it was called A Study of Windborne Sand And Dust in Desert Areas. One of those books the Pentagon puts out. I was thoroughly intrigued that by studying a swatch of sand, you could learn from the wind and the sun and the ripples in the earth just where you might be and what the conditions were. I knew a man who almost died in the Sahara once. I have the compass he carried with him sitting in one of my bookcases to remind me of him, no
w departed from the earth, and every time I see it, I think about him...and the desert.


Colonel T. E. Lawrence Working The White

13 Comments:

Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Madonna is just plain hot.

Hmmm, all these mid-August birthdays makes me think that a bunch of people were having Thanksgiving-weekend sex.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

She must be hot, Miss Penny. She took all of her clothes off in that picture. :x

I thought about the conception angle myself, while I was typing out those dates. It is odd how they crop up in clusters the way they do.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Yeah, I have a bunch of friends whose b-days are Oct 16th. Me thinks New Years Eve??

2:23 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I just checked my calendar, MPL. I have a heap o' friends with birthdays from Oct. 10-29. Happy New Year.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Madonna was injured today either riding or making love to a horse. I'm not sure which one.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Laughing. I know, Phil. A friend just im'd me about that. It was a horse riding accident. As my friend put it, "anything to stay in the news." I prefer your imagery a la Catherine the Great.

3:39 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

It's my old college sweetie's birthday today too. Wonder if he knows he was born 17 years after Madonna?

5:28 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

My birthday is mid November. One day during a meal with my parents, I blurted, "Guess you had a good Valentine's day in 1976." My mother blushed for about 1/2 an hour.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Thank god my parents went on vacation to Toronto over the 4th of July in 1970 or else I wouldn't be here (believe me, that marriage was already so dead that without the vacation, there probably wouldn't have been any sex).

10:44 PM  
Blogger kob said...

I love that name "Madonna" -- it's so da vinci code. What's the male equivalent of Madonna -- because that's what I want to be called.

I know someone who changed their first name to China. Interesting concept. Perhaps I'll rename myself after a country or continent. How about America? So when the sing "God bless..." I'll stop. It's late. I need to go. So many countries to choose from, so little time...

11:21 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

kob, I would think it'd have to be something with religious connotations. 'Jesus' is too obvious, and too hispanic.

How about "buddha"?

Or something more American...like "Joe Mormon". Hi, my name is Joe Mormon.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

India is a cool name. But I think you should call yourself Antarctica.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Yeah but you already have India Arie. Antarctica is good.

"Hello. My name is Antarctica, and this is my husband, Joe Mormon."

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites