Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Stuff Of Life


Last night, I was talking to an old friend online. He has lived out in San Francisco for some time now, but he's originally from Baltimore. He was drinking tequila while he made his dinner.

Today he sent me a news article debunking past medical advice that we drink eight glasses of water a day, calling it a health myth. I told him I did so nonetheless, as I like the taste of water, and I prefer to think I'm keeping my system hydrated and flushed.

I told him how the night before, a television ad had come on for Don Eduardo Tequila and I had thought of him. "More like Don Pardo," he replied. Then he added. "…like my champagne….Dom DeLuise."

We didn't get around to discussing the dangers of Hyponatremia: fatality from water intoxication (too much Ecstasy.) Maybe we'll save that for another time. We did discuss the living dead, and I don't mean the party girl who had a heart attack from dancing for eight hours, blowing a whistle.

His neighbor is dying of a pancreatic cancer. He told me, "One day I saw him and something told me inside he was dead . I said, "You can see death inside people at times. I know twice in my life I've looked into someone's eyes and seen death lurking in there. It's like they've already given up and let death in." He replied, "Yeah. I couldn't drink at a bar one night because the bartender looked like a corpse. I told my friend this and he was laughing, that was Thanksgiving. On New Years, they found his corpse in his apartment. He had stroked out over Christmas."

:::Thinking About The Whistle Song by Pulsedrive:::

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father-in-law used to say, "You can drown in water but things are preserved in alcohol." Take it for what you want.

Too many sports enthusiasts think that overloading on water is the way to go...(what dumb-heads)... they just need to be lubricated/hydrated and not to the point where they lose all their electrolytes.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

T? Why is it when you say "lubricated" it sounds dirty? Maybe I know you too well. I can't wait to hear more about the new martini created for the Pope. Does it involve holy water?

4:46 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Uh... because you, Cube, are dirty?

Things may be preserved in alcohol, but if someone dropped me in a vat of vodka with cement shoes on, I'd drown just the same as I would in a river.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

66'er..I'm as pure as filtered vodka. ;)

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, I-66, you'd be pickled for eternity! Besides, who said you couldn't drink your way out of the 'drink'?

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papal-tini:

vodka
simple syrup
that liquor that has the little gold flecks in it

Mix

float two strips (in the shape of the papal keys) of lemon on top

add a little bit of dry ice to make white smoke

Ta-da

Grince

9:40 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Kathy: The gold fleck booze is called Goldschläger (appropriate cause it's from Germany and he's a Nazi...and I write that as a Catholic, so "oh please,") the vodka is good for when Stalingrad defeated Hitler, love the lemon peel Papal Keys....One should be a Papal Key..one shaped like Key West. Dry ice makes smoke, but if you put it into fluid, it starts boiling like a cauldron in hell...equally interesting effect, no?

9:51 AM  
Blogger Hammer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Klaus Kinski always creeped me out. I think he qualified as living dead. Until he, uh, died that is.

Come to think of it, Klaus probably deserves a custom martini one of these days...

11:05 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Hammer:

I could think of a ton of Klaus drinks. Let's see. Fritzcaraldo Cocktail, and he was in a film called A Time to Love and A Time To Die. Nosferatu is the most obvious and easiest, but in truth, if you go back through Klaus' filmography? Any of his movies could be a death drink.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stroking out . . . what a way to go . . .

12:58 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

You would love this man, AUA. He's right up your alley: ex-military, a real "guy guy." Very down to earth. Talking with him is always a treat. I could blog every conversation I have with him. He was watching this dying neighbor crawling up the street, and told me what a cheapskate he was...other stuff I didn't write about in the blog, but probably should have, just because of the way Dave puts things.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites