Sunday, February 22, 2009

Now Playing In My Head

Early this morning. Very early this morning, my friend Tony signed online, and we greeted each other. He said, "Sigh. I woke up this morning with Herbert VonKarian's Berlin Philharmonic's Blue Danube in my head." I told him, "That's funny. I'm sitting here, and I can't get "Roses and Lollipops," and "Ole Man River" out of my head. We started talking about "song worms." Those things that you should never even think of, or they will ruin your day. Off the top of my head: "Electric Avenue," "Don't Worry, Be Happy," anything by Tony Orlando, "Lighting Strikes," "Cheeky Girls Christmas" and so many, many more.

Later today I was updating some of my varied blogs, and I remembered how back on the first one under AOL Journals, they used to have a section for "Currently Listening To" to set the tone of what you were writing. I "may" pick that up and occasionally throw up a song that's on my mind. God knows I have eclectic tastes. Ask Drew about my getting him hooked on Siberian throat singers.



What's been playing in my head tonight? Liza Minnelli singing "Don't Smoke in Bed."

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Pooh....... it says video no longer available. :(

1:15 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

It's still functional on mine, Kate. Try using a different server. Sometimes that helps.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Really weird. For some reason, this morning, when I tried it it worked!


:)

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rrrgh!!!! now i have electric ave stuck in my head... thank you very much....
xoxo

3:36 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

"Ain't Got No Home" by Clarence Frogman Henry got stuck in my head a few weeks ago and still won't get out. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9eBNRjD7bA

11:00 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

I'm ain't kiddin' either. I catch myself humming it on my walk to work, like, CONSTANTLY.

Somebody put the whammy on me - I just know it.

11:02 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue
And then we take it high-uh...

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had to mention the Cheeky Girls, didn't you, Cube? That video is a truly disturbing set of images and sounds. Almost, but not quite as disturbing as Harvey Sid Fisher's "Zodiac Songs." The dancer in her dance leotard and Harvey in his tux are way off in another zone. And for really annoying? How about the theme jingle for Eastern Motors?

-- grince

2:26 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Blond: Yeah. It does that. Not only does it get stuck, but I get the video with it.

Hammer: HATE that song. Am NOT going to You Tube.

Lacochran: Le sigh. Le stop. Le laughing.

K: I have a whole roster of songs where if they crop up on the radio, I shut it off immediately.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

I have that song by Lady Ga Ga "Just Dance" in my head at all times. This, however, is a good thing because it truly is my life's theme song.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put my iPhone up to someone's ear as they were telling me about the last "heavy metal" concert they went to. I believe it might have been Slayer. Anyhoo... they listened a bit, didn't get it at first, and then you saw the realization wash over their face that it was Yat-Kha's Tuvan throat singing rendition of "Orgasmatron" by Motorhead. Well, giggle fits ensued, paramedics had to be called and I was hefted atop the shoulders of the masses as we all celebrated the perversity of Cube's musical influences!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh -- and I have two "earworms" that come to mind. One is "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adaYUM5wl7c), and that infernal music from the Honeycomb Kids commercials from the late 70's/early 80's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVh7rhVgoas).

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites