Tuesday, June 02, 2009

I'm Just A Teenage Dirtbag Redoux



I just finished reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, not my usual type of read, but I like to keep an open mind. The truth is, the book was just something I pulled off the library bookshelves in desperation while I waited for my "on holds" to turn up. I was aware of all of the hoopla over these books when they came out, and nothing registered for me at the time. I had zero interest. I may have even been going through blood issues myself when the first book came out, or the movie, due to severe anemia (which has since disappeared,) but not before some nasty testing and treatment. If you want gore and pain, try a bone marrow biopsy, Stephenie.
I was surprised some Gothbag teen hadn't smeared his or her own blood over the pages of the book in some perverse allegiance. Someone did drop black ink all over the pages, so that it was like reading through brimstone.


Beelzebub Publishing -- A Bit Of Brimstone On Every Page


While reading the book, I had the unsettling feeling I was back in high school, and I'm guessing that's who's been reading these novels? But it sure wasn't my high school. My high school was rebellion and Rimbaud and Rebel Without A Cause and The Wild One and beat poets and George Groz and this one sofa at the Phillips Gallery where you could be tucked in away from the Van Gogh freaks and think about the use of orange in the Renoir "Luncheon of the Boating Party," or a midnight showing at the Biograph of Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS and having my companion squirm at the maggot scene while I inched popcorn up his arm to mimic maggots, and when would I ever escape my parents and have my own life, but it sure wasn't about being a clumsy girl who needed rescuing or the living dead--unless you counted fifth period math or my biology teacher.

Probably the only thing I could connect with was that the vampires liked fast cars. And there's another song about escape for teens, Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car." I used to see her busking in Cambridge, Massachusetts near Harvard Square. Now that I can identify with. As for escapism....on the days when they had footballs games after school, I would climb through that fifth period math class window and leave the school grounds early. A ticket to football was my ticket to freedom. I didn't need the wings of the living dead to get me out of there. I did it on my own.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Escaping was the main theme of my childhood and I found many different ways to accomplish that. I went through a major Tracy Chapman/Rickie Lee Jones phase shortly after my Joni Mitchell/Judy Collins phase.

My favorite sentence of yours in this post was this one:
"My high school was rebellion and Rimbaud and Rebel Without A Cause and The Wild One and beat poets and George Groz and this one sofa at the Phillips Gallery where you could be tucked in away from the Van Gogh freaks and think about the use of orange in the Renoir "Luncheon of the Boating Party," or a midnight showing at the Biograph of Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS and having my companion squirm at the maggot scene while I inched popcorn up his arm to mimic maggots, and when would I ever escape my parents and have my own life, but it sure wasn't about being a clumsy girl who needed rescuing or the living dead--unless you counted fifth period math or my biology teacher."
That's a completely awesome sentence!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

...and so much more, Cyndy. That was me holding back. Laughing.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Biograph -- real popcorn and velvet covered seats. I miss it. Rebelling in high school? I just listened to Aretha's Gold 'til the record was worn thin (record -- holy crap I'm old).

-- grince

12:29 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I liked it better when it was called "The Lost Boys".

2:05 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Grince: T and I were talking about all of the old theatres of D.C. There are a few left, like the Warner, but most gone.

Phil: "Lost Boys" sounds better re: being a teenager, and they were out having adventures, not moping about and pining and in some miasma love obsession where the object of desire continually swoops in to save her from her own idiocy.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

My favorite theater was the Circle on Pennsylvania Avenue. It was a real dump by the time I discovered it, but the admission was only two dollars and the movies they showed there were mostly ones I'd never seen before.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Dump? Dump did you say? I was glued to center aisle, left side, third row, aisle seat.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...Nice pictures.

___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites