Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Acorn Serenade

One of my neighbors telephoned me last week with one of those checking-up "how ya doing" calls. There was news: she has a new job which started on October 31st, another neighbor's dog that never stops yapping, how many leaves have fallen...or not, and then she said "I keep thinking I'm hearing cymbals somewhere." I had to laugh. I had forgotten, but before I left town, I had boobytrapped my back yard.

Most drummers are passionate about the sound of their cymbals and the unique sound each produces. Zildjian, the best known quality producer of cymbals began their family craft in 1623, with the company as we know it in the U.S.
started in 1929. These are the cymbals treasured by drummers internationally. These are not, however, the cymbals being offered up as part of the package when a new drum kit or pieces are purchased. A drummer that I know was discarding what he felt were inferior cymbals, and I asked if I could have them, thinking they might be interesting to play around with in some creative capacity outside of music.

I have freestanding double hooked iron rods in my yard that usually hold planters or bird feeders. I also have oak trees. Knowing I'd be gettin
g my bumper crop of acorns that I normally do, I thought it might be funny to string up the cymbals on thin rope and put them under the oaks and see what happens. The acorns hadn't started falling before I left D.C., and in the flurry of my departure I forgot all about them. Apparently they are working. I asked her to take a photograph of them for the blog, which she has obligingly done, and I also asked her to move them away from the oak if they become too annoying. They make a ringing ker-ching sound, and she says she laughs everytime she hears one go off. ...but we'll see. Further into the season and whimsy may turn to weariness.


4 Comments:

Blogger Sparklebot said...

What a cool idea! I would love to hear that!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Megarita said...

This is a fabulous idea and would keep me in hysterics all day. I bet the squirrels are WIGGING OUT. Or rocking out, one or the other.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

An acorn Cymbal Symphony?? BRAVO!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

That's an awesome idea. And I love Megarita's comment. I second that!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites