Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cocktail Of The Week:
The Nevermore

Today is Edgar Allan Poe's birthday. What is little remembered about Poe is his birthday, but we all associate death with his name: died on the streets of Baltimore, tell tale hearts, tubercular wife, Annabelle Lee, kingdoms by the sea, and of course, ravens. What could be more appropriate than a black cocktail to toast this day:


Quoth the Raven, "I'll have anything but Old Crow"

The Nevermore Cocktail

1 3/4 ounce Blavod Black Vodka
3/4 ounce Kaluha Coffee Liqueur
Black Coffee Ice Cubes

Shake and pour into a chilled highball glass using coffee ice cubes. Stir with beak.

I had visited a bar, taking props with me for a photograph of the drink, including pictures of Poe and his gravesite in Baltimore. After I left the bar, I had errands to run, including a trip to a local Giant grocery store. I decided to leave Poe there, scattering his image throughout the store:


"Intellectual property has the shelf life of a banana," ~~Bill Gates


Same Old ....



Serenity Now


"It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence,we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream"
~~Edgar Allan Poe

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I used to live in the Church Hill section of Richmond...not too far from the Poe House on Broad Street. I remember visiting there as a child with my grandmother and seeing a small portrait of his lost love...I thought Edgar was quite the tortured romantic soul.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Sue: I have visited the Poe house once. The tour was given by an older gentleman with a pure Richmond accent. I can still remember his tweed jacket and enthusiasm for the subject. I remember that little portrait, as well. I was half wondering if they were going to catch me in the grocery store and toss me out, with their eye in the sky cameras, but even in a crowded store with people in the aisles, no one blinked or said a thing as I posed Poe amongst the packages. Left him there, too. One friend asked me last night if I thought the shoppers would see the pictures and get the reference point (Poe's birthday). "Highly doubtful," I said. Now if it had been a court date for Britney Spears, and I had left photographs of her in the store (in the junk food aisles,) it would have been a political statement.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

LOVE this post. brilliant. :-)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Thanks Carrie. I read your blog and love it.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Hammer said...

"Richmond accent?"

Hell, I grew up there and still spend plenty of time there, and I didn't ever think there was anything particularly distinctive about it. Just your typical drawl - not as pronounced or elongated as the Deep South.

But then again, when you grow up in an accent, anyone who speaks in it sounds perfectly normal.

Out of curiosity, what are the main defining characteristics of a Richmond accent?

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites