Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Snowfall Is So Silent

A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

~~ James Joyce, The Dead



The snowfall is so silent,
so slow,
bit by bit, with delicacy
it settles down on the earth
and covers over the fields.
The silent snow comes down
white and weightless;
snowfall makes no noise,
falls as forgetting falls,
flake after flake.
It covers the fields gently
while frost attacks them
with its sudden flashes of white;
covers everything with its pure
and silent covering;
not one thing on the ground
anywhere escapes it.
And wherever it falls it stays,
content and gay,
for snow does not slip off
as rain does,
but it stays and sinks in.
The flakes are skyflowers,
pale lilies from the clouds,
that wither on earth.
They come down blossoming
but then so quickly
they are gone;
they bloom only on the peak,
above the mountains,
and make the earth feel heavier
when they die inside.
Snow, delicate snow,
that falls with such lightness
on the head,
on the feelings,
come and cover over the sadness
that lies always in my reason.
~~Miguel de Unamuno




Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

~~Robert Frost



Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

It snowed here, too, last night.

Since I did not buy bread and water as the media ordered me to, I ate my children to survive the storm.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Phil!!!! It's PHIL!!!! Did you get my Christmas card? Where have you been?

4:41 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Go to the Myspace pace for this now-defuct band and scroll down on the player to listen to their song "Snow Days." Link: http://www.myspace.com/tripshakespeare

Not as profound as poetry, but a quirky little song imploring a teacher to stay home and not go to school because of the snow.

(This comment brought to you by A.B.D.O.M.K. the Association of Blogger Dorks with Obscure Music Knowledge)

4:43 PM  
Blogger blah said...

Cuuuuuube ! I don't know which is better the James joyce quote or your pictures (now how's that being in esteemed company :-)

Love it!

10:56 PM  
Blogger diana murphy said...

Goodness. Such offerings. You've got a combo Joyce&de Unamuno (lurv) + gorgeous wintry photos + the (true) story of peeing gym gal talking on her cell whilst having an oprah-esque epiphany. I love it here! (found you thru all things bright...)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Hammer: You blew me away the other night with that reference point on Lucas. What really flipped me out was being a wiseass and telling you "Beefheart," then researching the guy and finding out he worked with him. Too, too, odd.

Diana: Yep. Just me and my trusty camera and iPhone. The quality may not be there in the pictures, but the heart is.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Nope - I never did get it. I moved back in Sept., though it should have been forwarded to me.

I'll bet the buyer of my old house has it and refused to turn it over.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Well, Phil...it war a good one..I'll have to send you the photo I used.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Please do.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites