Friday, May 23, 2008

Fried French

" Yo. Vous want frites wit dat?"

As many of you know, I sell books, CD's and DVD's on Amazon in my continued efforts to simplify my life. Today I sold a boxed DVD set of The Wire (Fourth Season) to someone in Paris, France (not Texas.) I usually write a personal note on the invoice slip, thanking the person for their purchase. I wrote in French, "....Merci, pour la commande...."but I was thinking of the buyer and how a French person would interpret inner city school life in West Baltimore. For example, when Prop Joe says, "I'm like a marriage counselor. Tell the man he oughta bring the bitch some flowers every once in a while. Tell the bitch she gotta suck some cock every once in a while. That sort of shit," it translates into "Je suis comme un mariage conseiller. Dites-il l'homme oughta mettre la chienne quelques fleurs de temps en temps. Dites la chienne, elle dois sucer certains queue tous les temps en temps. Ce genre de merde," but can you truly translate that? And in this country, would it really be flowers and chocolate ice cream anymore, or tears, tantrum and a new car?


And who gets to do the voice overs on these things? Standing in a black room in front of a white screen, asking the dub director, "Quelle est ma motivation ?



I must have been in a Frencified frame of mind, because I went over and dumped a comment in French on Les Playaz blog, as if I was reviewing Phil's video effects for Cahiers du Cinéma and taking him to task for not using a soundtrack of Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" and Buck Owens "Will There Be Big Rigs in Heaven,":





Ce n'est pas un véritable exemple de Cinéma vérité aussi connu sous le nom de "vérité vérité" car il n'est pas modulaire underlaying le thème musical de conduire l'action en avant en vérité. Vérité une vérité en quelque sorte. Où est "Bonnie Jean": La distance de femme par rapport à la perte de la télécommande, une utilisation obsédante de Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" a thématique s'inscrivent dans les traditions des générations du Sud avec le jugement qui nous attend tous, comme envisage de Buck Owens "Sera-t-il Big Rigs dans le ciel?" On ne peut pas inscrire ce travail dans le même genre que "Tirez sur le pianiste" sans ces considérations. Truffaut de "La mariée était en noir" fait bon usage de cet effet qui pourrait bien être ajouté par une application judicieuse de "The Girl on the Billboard." Et où est Wayne? Un article récent paru dans Cahiers du Cinéma revendications scènes cruciales ont été laissées sur le plancher salle de coupe en raison de différends contractuels. On ne peut que s'étonner de voir ce travail dans sa globalité.



The day doesn't bode well. I had already cited John Wayne Gacy on another blog saying I couldn't see Ronald McDonald without thinking "serial killer clown." I think my day should end this way, and I just happen to have a bottle, chillin' in the fridgedaire. It ain't Mad Dog 20/20, but it'll do:



Ce qui un jour!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I still don't understand a word.

How do you say "coffee and mini-whites" in french, because Bonnie Jean is about some truck driver who love Bonnie Jean?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Phil: café et d'un mini-blancs

6:18 PM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

My fave champagne-- me and Ched will be chuggin' one of these over le weekend.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahaha, Manet would be proud.

New regular reader, for sure.

8:16 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I wish I could say that this has me pensive and all that... but really it's just made me desire McDonald's french fries.

Damn you.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Ms. W.: I wrote down the name of a pink (salmon) colored champagne I wanted to try, and now I can't remember it. Proust, I ain't. ;)

Liz: I hope! I would love to build up my readership....again. Hint, hint to former readers.

66: You've got a new puppy. No time for pensive. Lil Striker awaits full of energy.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

we opted for Guinness instead--too lazy to walk over to le liquor store. trying to stay as horizontal as possible all weekend. must make do with what's already in la fridge (le fridge?) damn those masc/femm woids.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

D.Ched. Wanna get around those pesky masculin/feminine words? L' everything. L'booze. L'hic. L'heh.

Oh..special to D.Ched. My manicurist gave me two Jo Malone samples today: Pomegranate Noir and Lime Basil Mandarin. I was wearing Bond Street Chinatown so she didn't spritz me.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

I like Chinatown & Pomegranate Noir, but not quite enough to rush out to plunk down the $. (so many yet to try and buy) Have to try them again--since I liked them-- sampling is so difficult.. sigh...

Haven't tried the lime one.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

Regarding the pinkish champagne--was eet Laurent Perrier Rose by any chance?

I had Taittinger pinks a few times, very berryish , stronger --someone else was buying so I have no idea what the cost was.

champagne she is like the perfumes and the music , no? must try many.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites