Monday, March 13, 2006

Moving Forward, No Matter What
Right, Toots?


I'm still in the throes of health problems. I went to see the doctor for what I thought was going to be a minor problem, and then the tests began, and the vials of blood (seven including today,) and then more problems are discovered, and then more problems, and I find myself sinking down a deeper health hole than I ever imagined possible, and I considered myself somewhat health conscious and careful. SURPRISE!!! I will be seeing a doctor or undergoing a procedure every day this week, and more to come. I called a childhood friend today. We quite literally go back to diaperhood together. I needed her levelheaded opinion on all of this mess. She gave me very sound advice about journaling what's been going on, so the doctors have something to look at in keeping it all straight. She was laughing when she said, "Spreadsheet it and add colors." She told me she had read a study somewhere that said doctors will listen to you for about twenty minutes and then they shut off. She also said I needed to sell myself like advertising and keep their interest going with the hope at least one of them will connect the dots and find answers for me. She also recommended keeping lots of humor in my life as I am going to need laughter as a distraction. Good tips, and I think she's right.


Last night I had my second blog dream. I think I'm fretting because I'm not writing. In the dream I was heading home, and I stopped and purchased a magazine. The magazine had some type of advertising inserted in it that played music and ran a commercial for some product. I thought it was highly annoying. When I arrived home I had another magazine or two waiting for me that I subscribed to, and they also were jangling away with commercial music tunes. I searched other blogs and no one was mentioning it, and I thought "When I awaken, I need to blog about this because it really is an annoying thing and when did magazines start doing this?" Laughing. Uh, Cube? Wake up. They don't do it...yet. I can certainly foresee the day when they begin this practice. Can't you?


I was feeling so bad last week when I kept hearing upcoming weather reports of glorious weather and "you'll want to be outdoors for this one, folks," and I knew I wouldn't be able to muster energy to do anything that I wanted to be doing, so early one evening I stopped at a store and bought lots of pretty makeup: light pinky shades for Spring, and a frivolous pair of earrings for Summer--anything to keep me feeling female. I had a male companion with me during this process and the salesgirl was saying how nice it was that he was with me and "so patient and not complaining, etc." He said he didn't mind at all, which was sweet. I showed him this one skin cream I had bought and asked him if he would like to try a little. I told him it wasn't too "frou frou." He said, "Oh, you want me to lie back and dab lotion on my face and cover my eyes with tomatoes." I laughed so hard. I said, "No silly, you aren't making a salad, and it's cucumbers you put on your eyes, not tomatoes. O.K. I get his point.
"....and a light vinaigrette behind the pulse points."

God, I love men. I realized I am many, many times blessed in having this wonderful circle of men in my life: men that make me laugh, men that give me the truth, men that share their most secret thoughts with me, knowing I will never tell and men that can casually say, "Babe," or "Doll," or "Toots" and somehow the bad stuff recedes.


27 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Still hoping for the best, sweetcheeks ;).

4:18 PM  
Blogger Sparklebot said...

Men can be so amazing when they're not trying to sleep with you. Ok, and, sometimes when they are.

4:37 PM  
Blogger playfulinnc said...

Hiya sugarlips~

I'm so glad that you have a strong net to fall into when you need it, and when you don't.

5:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Thinking of you, wishing you well, and hoping that this all goes away.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Hang in there kiddo!

Phil, please send Cube some "comet dust" ASAP!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

All of you...thanks. I could use some comet dust come to think of it. I'll be reading your blogs for my humor...how does that grab ya?

7:00 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

First: "....and a light vinaigrette behind the pulse points" = priceless.

(And love Smash's comment)

I'm sorry that it's going to be another rough week, health-wise. :( I hope some of that pretty makeup will help the days seem a little bit better.

9:01 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

oooooh no pressure

9:25 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I loved Smash's comments too, Miss Mystery. As for the pulse points, it should be "on" them, not behind them. Obviously I was thinking "knees," but frankly I'm so off I'm not even changing it. I did have fun doing the little drawing. I wish I made more time for that.

9:26 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

the little drawing made me crack up. i'm sending good vibes your way and hope you feel better soon.


did you go to sephora? going there always lifts my spirits :)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

The drawing is perfect. Glad you were able to post. Humor? Yes. Also know you are so well loved. I'm sure you know but wanted to say it anyway.

10:23 PM  
Blogger alwswrite said...

I will try extra hard to turn on the funny for you. Maybe it's time to bust out that story about my Mom thinking I'm a lesbian... Just for Cubie. Be well, feel strong, we're here.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

Q: What's black and white and red all over?

A: A penguin with a sunburn!

Q: What did the cat say when he answered the cell phone?

A: Can you hear ME-OW?

How's that for funny? Feel better, lady. We're all thinking of you.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I hope all of this gets sorted out and you feel better soon, Cube. (If it's any consolation, I think the weather is supposed to turn crappy again in the next few days - you won't have to feel like you're missing out on anything.)

11:13 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I can't offer much by way of humor at this point, but I'm reading a great book that I think you'd love -- it's "What Would Jackie Do? - An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living."

I've been in the cycle of bad health before, and you have my sympathy. It's awful when you feel like your own body is working against you.

Big hugs-
Lucy

8:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

My heart is with you as you go through all this uncertainty. Believe me, people can make all the difference in the world when you have health issues. Just let everyone take care of you. It will feel so good. I'm hoping you soon see the light at the end of the tunnel and that you need sunglasses because it is so bright!

12:10 PM  
Blogger cs said...

Cube I'm hoping you get your answers. Until then remember that the funniest thing in the world is a naked man walking on his hands.

Or was that a naked man working on his tan?

Something like that.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cubie!
So sad that you are still not well. Those doctors need to step up their game, my friend.

Positive energy (and maybe even some comet dust) is encircling you from all of your blogger admirers.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cube...I'm thinking of you and hoping you are on the mend soon. Glad that your boys are giving you a much needed laugh here and there...

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you prefer Honey Dust? Well whatever dust does you best
:-)

Good men are always great pick me ups when you aren't feeling well, and they can be quite amusing too.

Feel Better. I hate being sluggish and not feeling well. (My head has almost hit the keyboard three times already.)

If you get bored I hear Jerry Springer is always a humorous, albeit ghetto, guilty pleasure.

>^, ,^<

10:34 AM  
Blogger m.a. said...

Cube,

Please take care. And I'm glad that you've got those men with you. And I bet that they're superglad that they've got you, lady.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Blue Dog Art said...

Thinking good thoughts for you Cube! Hope all is well soon.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

I posted a little sumthin' sumthin' for you.

Hope you feel better.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good weather is so overrated. Seriously.

But I'm sending you good thoughts and all my cosmic energy.

xxoo
rl

7:51 PM  
Blogger Merujo said...

Cube - I've become so accustomed to reading your comments on my blog and enjoying each new post you make here... I sincerely hope you are feeling much, much better soon.

If you want some reading to cheer you up and make you feel all warm and fuzzy, I'm posting my entry about me being thrown out of my office last year at midnight tonight. :-)

But seriously, I hope all is well and all the vampiring simply ends up with good health news for you.

Cheers and every good thought,

Merujo

8:28 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

cube ffukcing roooooooocks

whooooooo!
d
runk girl

12:14 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Oh Jesus.

(blush)

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites